Sunday, September 13, 2009

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

The video defiantely caught my attention. I can relate to this video so much as a college student. I understand about buying a $100 or more textbook that I use maybe once throughout the course. It aggrevates me because I could have not bought it and saved that money for something I would use or need. Another point that I can greatly relate to is the point that a lot of students are on their laptop in class twittering or on facebook, while I am listening and trying to learn in class. The part that is aggrevating is that I might come out with a C or B in the class and I paid attention and tried my best, but the person sitting beside me was playing on their laptop or maybe did not hardly ever come to class and they made the same grade or higher than I did. As a student and first time mother, I maybe get 4 or 5 hours of sleep at night. I spend most of the night when my baby is sleeping studying or doing work for my classes, and some of the classes I feel that I don't even need for my profession.

In the classrooms, there are too many students. Some of my classes have maybe 30 people, however some of my other classes range from 50 to 100 people. I am the type of person who needs to be in a smaller class to learn what I need to succeed. It is harder for me to learn in a huge class where you do not receive any individual attention the whole semester. In my classes now, I am happy to say that all of my professors know my name. However, this has not always been the case. Sometimes I will get in a class where my professors act like they do not care if you fail or pass their class. I have been lucky this semester and some past semesters to have professors that really do care if I pass and help me to make sure I succeed. I really enjoyed watching the film and believe that they should not add or take out anything in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment