Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sir Ken Robinson- Creativity

I found the video to be very informative. I enjoyed listening to Sir Ken Robinson. Not only was he informative, but he made it entertaining as well by telling jokes every now and then. In the video, Sir Ken Robinson talks about creativity in the schools and how we drain out the children's creativity through education. He says," Creativity is as important as literacy and should be treated the same."


He uses two different examples of children's creativity. One includes a little girl drawing a picture of God in class and the other example includes his son when he was four years old in a play. Sir Ken Robinson then says that children are not afraid to take a chance because they are not frightened of being wrong. He says,"If your not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original." I believe this is very true because there would be no creativity if someone in the world was not afraid of being wrong.


He believes that if we do not grow into creativity, we will be educated out of it. In the school system, Sir Ken Robinson says the curriculum is listed from important to least important. It is Mathematics, Language arts, Humanities, and then the Arts. However, he believes that this is wrong and that the Arts should be as important as any of these subjects. He says that after so long we begin to educate our children from the waste up, and then just in the brain.


In the video, Sir Ken Robinson made very valid points on creativity and how it is drained out of our children in the education system. I agree with everything he has based his argument on. When I get to work in the classroom, I will try my best to make sure I allow my students to use their creativity as much as possible. I really enjoyed watching and learning from this film, and would not mind watching more from Sir Ken Robinson.

4 comments:

  1. Missing 2 posts. Get them to me by tomorrow for credit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I too felt the same way about his speech. I also am going to try and allow my students to use their creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed listening to the speaker also. At first I wasn't so sure about him, but he was funny and kept my attention. The things he said made complete sense. If we take creativity out of education then the children will grow up with no new ideas.

    ReplyDelete